Making PatternsJuly 24, 2015-September 17, 2015 At 117 Beekman Street, Manhattan, NY
117 Beekman Street, Manhattan, NY
July 24 – September 17
Tuesday – Sunday
12:00PM – 7:00PM
“Our bodies are our primary interfaces for the world… [Wearables] sit close to your skin, inhabit your clothing, and sometimes even start to feel like part of you.” – Kate Hartman, Director of the Social Body Lab, from her book Make: Wearable Electronics.
Eyebeam’s first exhibition at The Seaport features garments developed by multidisciplinary teams using a combination of new techniques and traditional craft. Many of the artists, technologists and designers involved have found novel ways to externalize inner feelings. Their work helps shape a future in which one’s inner self can be worn on the surface.
The exhibition includes work by Kaho Abe, Bo Kyung Byun, Ben Cramer, Billy Dang, Andrea van Hintum, May-Li Khoe, Danielle Martin, Hillary Sampliner, Cici Wu, and Jamie Sherman (Intel) in collaboration with the Social Body Lab (Kate Hartman, Jackson McConnell, Hillary Predko, Boris Kourtoukov, Izzie Colpitts-Campbell, Erin Lewis, Rickee Charbonneau, and Alexis Knipping).
Critically engaging with wearable technology, Making Patterns is part of Eyebeam’s Computational Fashion initiative, which includes residencies and master classes (organized in partnership with Shapeways). The exhibiting artists’ works spans disciplines and technical processes such as 3D printing, soft circuitry, embedded electronics and bio-sensing. The resulting patterns can change one’s relation to one’s body and others.
Making Patterns was curated by Erica Kermani, Eyebeam Director of Community Engagement.
Schedule of Events:
- 24 July / 6:00PM – 8:00PM
- 1 August: Intro to Soft Circuits with Deren Guler of Teknikio / 1:30PM – 4:00PM
- 16 August: OpenFit Lab, Generative Patternmaking / 11:00AM – 6:00PM
- 22 August: Body as Interface with Xin Liu / 1:30PM – 4:00PM
- 19 August: Adorn and Subvert: A Discussion on Wearable Resistance / 7:00PM – 9:00PM
- 12 September: Cells and Seams: A Discussion on Biotechnology and Fashion / 7:00PM – 9:00PM
- 12 August: Demo Night: Sound + Textiles / 6:00PM – 9:00PM
- 29 August: Hotaru Prototype #2 Playtesting with Kaho Abe / 6:00PM – 9:00PM
- 10 September: Re-Making Patterns Opening, showcasing works from Computational Fashion Master Class 2015 / 6:00PM – 8:00PM
Computational Fashion is an Eyebeam initiative bringing together artists, fashion designers, scientists, and technologists to explore emerging ideas and develop new work at the intersection of fashion and technology. Learn more at http://fashion.eyebeam.org.
Refreshments courtesy of New York City’s Only Local Vodka:
Eyebeam is a partner of South Street Seaport’s Culture District