I need someone to build a basic web filter (censorware) for Mac and/or PC that uses as much off-the-shelf code as possible. This filter will be integrated into a product that will be used by parents and school teachers to block out certain objectionable content. If, like me, the mere idea of censorware leaves a bad taste in your mouth, please don't let that deter you. This project deals with censorship, among other issue, so it won't be used exactly as you think it might be.
This filter should work in the following way:
- The administrator downloads and installs the software.
- For any non-administrator user, the software cannot be disabled or removed.
- Every time an HTTP request is made, the URL should first be securely sent to a remote script (say, http://www.eyebeam.org/filter.php?url=)
- This script will securely return a message saying that the page is deemed OK, or that the page is not allowed, along with a description of why the page cannot be loaded. I will provide this PHP script.
- If the failure message is received, the filter should instead return some HTML, including the reason why it was declined. This page need not be well designed - we will be changing it in the end.
Applicants should have built something like this before. I am not a security expert, so I am likely leaving out some important security steps. If you can point them out to me, you will earn major points.
As it says in the project name, I cannot yet say exactly what this is for. OnCaller will be given credit as the assistant programmer on the project and included in all material where credit is given. A full description of the project will be sent on receipt of application.